Investing isn’t just for mom and dad anymore. College students across the country are making investments in products to make their lives more efficient and their wallets a little heavier.
By making investments in the products below I have not only helped the environment in many cases (no more plastic water bottles!) but I have also saved myself a ton of money!
- Brita & Water Bottle: Buying a Brita and a water bottle has been the most worthwhile investment of my time in college. In my first few years I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars buying bottled water. Bottled water is much more costly than a Britta not to mention much worse for the environment, much harder to carry up five flights of stairs and harder store in your small dorm room or apartment refrigerator. My initial investment of $19.99 for the actual Britta pitcher and my quarterly purchase of filters ($7.99 each) has saved me over $175 a year. Check out different styles of Brita pitchers online
- Coffee Maker: Investing in a coffee maker for dorm room or an apartment is a great way to save a little money for both you and your roommates! Instead of going to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts on your way to class, ditch the overprice cups of joe and look for Green Mountain Coffee at the grocery store. Green Mountain Coffee is one of my favorites and has a great range of delicious flavors. The best part about a coffee maker, besides the money you will save is, on a nice day the leftovers can be thrown it in the refrigerator and brought to the library in the form of ice coffee to give you that little extra energy you need to write that 10 page paper due tomorrow.
- Panini Maker: Panini makers are also a great way to save some money on food. If your tired of the boring cold cut sandwiches you have been making, buy a Panini maker and spice it up a little bit? Anything tastes good in the form of a Panini, all you need is a few ingredients to play around and see what you like. Stop spending money at your favorite sub shop and see if you can replicate it yourself!
- Costco/ Sam’s Club/ BJ’s Memberships: Buying in bulk for the more popular eats in the house or for foods that can be easily preserved is a good way to save. Pool some money from your roommates for a membership to these places and you will see the difference in money you save! Visit these sites to find the location closest to you: Costco, BJ’s or Sam’s Club. Once you join a club check their website frequently for great deals! Another perk of a membership is that the clubs don’t just sell food. If you have saved up and are looking to invest in a new iPod or video game, there are also deals and coupons for these items.
- Piggy Bank/ Jar: Is all that extra change weighing down your purse, wallet and pockets? Invest in a piggy bank! You can’t even imagine how much money you can save by throwing your loose change in a jar on your desk. You could also include your roommates while change collecting. Keep a bank or jar near the door to your apartments or dorm and make a pack throw in some change every once and a while. When the Jar starts getting full, spend the change you save up on groceries for the week or beer for the weekend.
- Recycling Bins: Once you have drank all that beer you bought with the change you saved up in your jar, recycle, not just to be green but also get some money back. If you go to your local grocery store there will be machines to return cans and bottles. Some liquor store will even sort all the recycling out for you. Claim your cash and throw it in your jar to keep the cycle going.
- Energy Efficient Light Bulbs: If you’re living off campus paying rent as you know the electricity bill is a very costly expense. When your light bulbs burn out look to buy energy efficient bulbs to replace them with. The decrease you see in your monthly bill will be significant enough to have a little extra spending cash for the month.