If you’ve ever walked down the cleaning product aisle at your local supermarket, then you’ve surely seen the dozens of products that are available. It can be overwhelming. There are so many different brands that do the same thing, whether it’s cleaning fabrics, windows, furniture, tile, metal, or wood. It’s hard enough just deciding which one is right for you. Here’s a solution to the problem that will save you the trouble of picking one, as well as money. Make your own cleaning supplies.
You probably already have most of the necessary ingredients to make the most common household cleaning products. Here are a few recipes…
Surface Cleaner = 1 cup white vinegar + 1 cup water (in a spray bottle)
- This solution can be used to clean counter tops, kitchen appliances, flooring, and the exterior of your toilet.
Shower and Toilet Cleaner = undiluted white vinegar
- Pour undiluted white vinegar around the bowl of the toilet then scrub with a toilet brush to remove stains and odors.
- Spray the vinegar on your shower walls and scrub with a sponge to remove hard water stains and soap scum .
- To unclog your shower head, pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup into a plastic bag and submerge the shower head into the liquid. Secure it with a rubber band and leave it for a few hours.
Bathtub Scrub = baking soda + water
- Make a paste of baking soda and a little water, and wipe it onto your bathtub. Let sit for 10 minutes. It will loosen the grime and make it easy to scrub off.
Glass Cleaner = 1 cup rubbing alcohol + 1 tablespoon white vinegar + 1 cup water (in a spray bottle)
- Spray on windows and wipe with paper towels (or newspaper for a cheap alternative) just as you would with Windex.
- For a stronger solution, substitute the vinegar with non-sudsing ammonia.
Do you make your own cleaning supplies? Please share your recipes in the comments!