Summer is not over yet! August is winding down and the kids are getting ready to go back to school, but we’ve still got wonderful produce that we can use to craft nutritious and affordable meals. Summer is time for fresh flavors and healthy eating, so grab the kids and head to the nearest farmer’s market for all the best that nature has to offer.
We’ve compiled a list of our favorite recipes based on summery fruits and vegetables – check out these treats and let us know if you have any other summertime favorites in the comments section below! Healthy eating helps keep medical bills down (prevention is always cheaper than treatment), and good use of a grocery budget gives you more room to get out of debt.
- Baked Eggs with Spinach and Mushroom Hash – A hearty and healthy meal, this is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You can use any other sturdy leafy green instead of spinach, like kale or romaine.
- Watermelon and Mint Salad – Need a great side to bring to a barbecue? This watermelon and mint salad is light and refreshing, plus easy on the wallet. It pairs beautifully with any grilled meat.
- Babaghanoush (eggplant spread) – Dress up your favorite sandwiches with a smear of this amazing babaghanoush, or eat as a dip with cut up veggies. For an authentic touch, bake up some pita chips and serve them on the side.
- Pineapple and Beef Skewers – These skewers are the perfect main dish for a backyard barbecue, and are easy to make. The kids can help skewer, too! These are delicious hot or cold.
- Healthy Parfaits – Need a kid-friendly snack that will make your taste buds sing? Try this affordable treat, using fresh summer berries. You can customize with all sorts of cereals, granolas, or nuts.
- Caramelized Onions – Perfect atop a burger or hot dog, caramelized onions dress up any backyard barbecue. You can even put them on pizza or sandwiches!
Take our poll and let us know how much you spend to attend weddings.