Groceries are one of the biggest parts of a consumer’s monthly budget. According to the USDA, the average cost of a moderate meal plan for a family of four is $895.80 a month. And that cost goes up as the children of the household get older. Food is obviously a necessity, but that doesn’t mean we have no control over what we spend. Let’s review some simple ways that you can reduce your monthly grocery bill.
Tips to Save Money on Groceries
- Try the store brand at least once. It’s usually less expensive, and you might even like it better than the name brand.
- Stock up when your regular items are on sale.
- Sign up for the rewards card for every store you regularly visit.
- If you have the time, check online and in newspapers for coupons.
- Whenever possible, leave the kids at home when shopping.
- Don’t shop when you’re hungry.
- Make a meal plan for the week so you know you’ll use what you buy. You can base your meals on what’s on sale that week.
- See our previous post on comparing unit prices to get the best value.
- Always have a list and stick to it.
Have some good tips to add? Please share in the comments!
Are you struggling with credit problems and looking for help with your debt management? Contact the professionals at American Consumer Credit Counseling for a free budget counseling session. Call 800-769-3571 today!