Now that you have your wedding day budgeted, it’s time to think about a honeymoon! A honeymoon can be expensive. But there are plenty of ways to have a fun and affordable honeymoon without going into debt. Make saving for your honeymoon a SMART goal and take a trip you will love!
Mini Affordable Honeymoon on a Budget
Some couples find that they just don’t have the funds for a lavish honeymoon. What they can afford is a mini honeymoon or getaway. By earmarking some of your wedding budget and the money you have received already from loved ones, a getaway is definitely an option. Here are a few ways to have a mini affordable honeymoon without taking on any credit card debt.
- Bed & Breakfast Tour
- Staying Beachside (non-tropical lake or ocean)
- Explore a nearby metro area
Stay a long weekend or a whole week. These affordable honeymoon options require little travel but still feel like a getaway. Since flights are one of the biggest costs of a honeymoon, avoid it by staying close and driving to your destination.
Delaying Your Honeymoon to Travel Far
If a couple truly wants that big, tropical vacation, then they may have to wait and save for it. With a destination in mind, a price point and ideal time of year to travel, it will be easy to budget and save. Don’t forget, couples often receive money from friends and relatives that can help them to reach this financial goal even faster.
- Total Cost: $4,000
- Time to Save: 8 months
- $4,000/8= $500/month to reach your goal
This amount may cause the budget to stretch. Make sure there is enough room in the budget for this savings goal or you may have to push the timing back a few months. Cut back on other expenses to make it happen- like entertainment, dining out, clothing, etc.
Discounts & Travel Resources
There are several other ways to go on a honeymoon and receive a discount to get within a budget. Here are a few ways to travel for a honeymoon while still avoiding consumer debt:
- Register for your honeymoon, ask for this instead of wedding presents
- Groupon, AAA member discounts
- Volunteering to get bumped on a flight to score free vouchers for the honeymoon flight
- Off-season booking
- Exchanging a service for a discounted rate (photography or another digital media skill may come in handy)
- Group booking- you don’t have to hang together, just get the rate
- Stay at a cheaper location a few nights and then upgrade
- Stay at a friend or relative’s swanky beach house
Saving for a Honeymoon
Now that you know there are other options besides credit card debt to go on a honeymoon, it’s time to make a plan. Remember to make saving for an affordable honeymoon a SMART goal (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Timely).