Have you been the victim of identity theft? It happens to a lot of people- over 15 million Americans last year alone! Identity theft typically causes the victim financial loss. ACCC has several identity theft resources to help you through an identity theft incident.
Identity Theft Resources
Protection Against Identity Theft
A great way to fend off an identity theft attack is to take preventative or defensive measures. Here are a few simple ways you can protect yourself against identity theft from the ACCC Identity Theft resource page:
- Shred personal and financial documents before disposing
- Put outgoing sensitive mail in a blue USPS mailbox
- Use online bill payment services
- Anytime you swipe your card, inspect the device for loose or mismatched parts and anything out of the ordinary
- Cover the keypad with your hand whenever you enter your PIN to hide it from cameras or onlookers
- Do not respond to emails asking for private information, or click any links
- If you wish to do any business online, visit the correct website by typing in the official URL yourself. Otherwise call the institution directly
- Use creative passwords for your accounts with mixes of numbers and letters, and avoid writing them down
Resources for Protection After Identity Theft
It’s important to act fast and cover all your bases if you have suffered from identity theft or suspect you might be vulnerable. Check out this video to see what you should do in response to identity theft:
For more identity theft resources and information, visit ACCC’s Identity Theft resource page.