Gift exchanges, like Secret Santa or White Elephant, are very common around Christmas. Whether it’s with coworkers, family or friends, you probably want to give a worthwhile item. If you are currently working to eliminate credit card debt, you may need to be creative. Here are some suggestions for inexpensive secret santa ideas.
Avoiding Credit Card Debt With Inexpensive Secret Santa Ideas
The holidays are about giving, receiving and unfortunately for some, too much credit card debt. So let’s make sure you don’t have to eliminate credit card debt from your Secret Santa gift.
Inexpensive Secret Santa Ideas
- Set an affordable price limit. Establishing a reasonable price limit on what you can spend on a gift can help ensure your ability to avoid credit card debt.
- Give plenty of time to shop. The more time you have to get a gift, the better your chances are of finding an affordable option.
- Shop on sale days. If you need to shop retail, wait for a sale. Keep your eye on a few stores; this time of year there are plenty of sales and discounts.
- Go simple with wrapping. There are plenty of gorgeous wrapping supplies out there. Save them for years when you aren’t trying to eliminate credit card debt. Go simple with Dollar Store wrapping paper or a homemade style. Brown grocery bags can be recycled into a simple and rustic wrapping. Dress it up by drawing a design on the paper.
- Regift. Regifting is more widely accepted than it used to be. Search the cache of items you aren’t using, and put them into circulation. However, make sure the person who gave you that gift is not participating in the exchange. You don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.
- Check thrift stores. People donate all sorts of great items that could very well still be in the original packaging. Prices are usually deeply discounted to work with small budgets for Secret Santa.
- Cash in reward points. Even though credit card debt isn’t the greatest, you might have accrued cash reward points because of it. Redeem the points. As a result, you’ll feel like you have spent $0 on your Secret Santa gift.
- Make or bake something. One year I placed all the dry ingredients of a veggie soup in a mason jar, printed out instructions and decorated the outside to give as presents. They were a big hit and cost very little to produce. Everyone loves to eat. Use it to your advantage.
Now you have plenty of ways to keep your gift exchange costs low so you can keep working on eliminating credit card debt. Finally, enjoy the holiday season!
To speak to a credit counselor today about budgeting and managing your finances, call 800-769-3571.