Happy Earth Day! It’s time to celebrate this day and work on eliminating consumer debt by changing some of your transportation habits for saving money. Here is a way to combine being eco-friendly and budget-friendly.
5 Ways to Travel While Saving Money
1. Use public transportation. By using public transportation, you can avoid a lot of costs, including gas, maintenance, and car payments. You might benefit from a few years without a big ticket item, like a car, and the consumer debt that goes along with it. Taking the bus or train to work helps the environment and your wallet.
2. Carpool. If public transportation isn’t available, try carpooling instead. Carpooling saves money and lessens the amount of cars polluting the air. Make some new friends at work, and plan out routes together!
3. Bike. Bike sharing options are becoming more prevalent in urban areas. They help people avoid credit card debt since they can bike without having to take on the expense of owning and maintaining their own bike. Hubway (Boston), Divvy Bikes (Chicago), Citibike (New York), Indego (Philadelphia) and other cities are joining the revolution to help keep our environment clean and our bodies more active.
4. Walk. Walking has some great health benefits, not to mention saves your money on gas and parking. This physical activity also gives you the chance to enjoy the outdoors instead of driving all the time.
5. Work from home. Are you able to work from home? Many companies are becoming more flexible with providing a work from home option, especially for those with families or a long commute. You can use the car when needed while avoiding suffering the dreaded rush hour commute on a regular basis.
Earth Day is just one day a year, but these eco-friendly transportation options are available all year round. Which ones will you try to help with your debt reduction efforts?
To speak to a credit counselor today about budgeting and managing your finances, call 800-769-3571.