College dorm rooms are usually lacking any kind of interior design. It doesn’t help that most freshman and sophomores are strapped for cash, saving for their student loan payments. Here are a few creative ways to have affordable dorm room decorations.
Inexpensive Dorm Room Decorations
White walls can actually be a very helpful thing when it comes to designing a space. A blank canvas is easier to transform than something that already has color or visual interest. Make the most out of a blank college living space with these inexpensive dorm room decorations.
Decoration Ideas With No Money
If you are on a tight budget in college, decorating your dorm room with new and exciting pieces probably isn’t a reality. However, you can do a lot with items you already own. Here are some DIY ideas that won’t cost you any money.
- Borrow some Christmas lights from home to add some elegant ambiance.
- Create an interesting photo display to make your room feel more familiar.
- Are you crafty? Not only should you use the craft supplies to make some dorm room decorations, but you can organize those same supplies in an appealing way.
- Jewelry can also be used as a beautiful focal point of your dorm space.
All of these suggestions cost no money and can make your dorm room more colorful and inviting.
Cheap Dorm Room Decorations & Tips
For just a few dollars, you can really elevate a dorm room or an apartment space. If you have a little cash to spend, these projects are well worth it. As long as you don’t end up with credit card debt, take on as many of these projects and tips as you can!
- Share the costs with roommates. Don’t split the cost of individual items, rather have each person get a few items to contribute.
- Posters, lamps and area rugs can really tie a room together for not a lot of money.
- Be sure to check out as many yard sales and thrift shops as you can to save on dorm room decorations. Even though the price is right, look for quality items over quantity.
- Use Command Hooks to display colorful scarfs or other decorations.
Now that you have some ideas for dorm room decorations, start rummaging through your things to come up with a new look.
Check out more thrifty college life tips on ACCC’s Pinterest board: College Life & Budgeting.