Earth Day is right around the corner. What better way to celebrate our planet than to start making some choices that will benefit its well-being. Plus, you’ll save money! Here are five ways to save money and enjoy Earth Day.
Celebrate Earth Day with Extra Savings
Hopefully, you know that Earth Day is April 22nd. It’s a day to stop and think about the planet. There are many ways to help the earth beyond this holiday or the usual recycling. These tips will also save you money. So dig in and get to work!
5 Ways to Be More Green for Earth Day
- Buy in bulk. The less single serving items the better because buying in bulk means less packaging. Usually, bulk amounts mean a cheaper price for the same item. Bulk doesn’t have to be limited to big box stores. There are plenty of items- perishable or not- you can purchase online. For example, I often buy rice and spices online that are used frequently, like cumin and rosemary. I like it because we never run out and it helps reduce waste.
- Use your own dishware instead of disposable. I know it is very convenient to use disposable plates and cutlery. However, it creates a lot of trash and costs you money out of pocket. If you use your own items, you don’t have any additional costs. There are some green options for disposable items. In the end, your own plates and supplies are still the best option for a get together. Visit your local thrift store or some yard sales to pick up extra sets of dishes to use.
- Participate in area clean-ups. This is a great way to exercise, get out as a single person, couple or family for a free activity. It also directly benefits the planet! Enjoy this activity beyond Earth Day. Anytime when there isn’t snow is a good time for a clean-up.
- Use public transportation. By using public transportation, you can avoid a lot of costs, including gas, maintenance, and car payments. You might benefit from a few years without a big ticket item, like a car, and the consumer debt that goes along with it. Taking the bus or train to work helps the environment and your wallet.
- Buy a reusable water bottle. Single use plastic water bottles are an unnecessary use of plastic when you can buy one bottle to last you for years! There are a million different options for reusable water bottles now- straws, pop-up lids, sizes, colors, materials, etc. You can definitely find an option or two or three rather than constantly spending money on water bottles.
Earth Day is only one special day to celebrate. However, we can help the planet everyday by making a few greener choices in our purchases, activities and transportation.