If you have a knack for digging out hidden treasures from a pile then there is no better day than today to get going! Today is National Thrift Shop Day! Today can be the day that you spruce up your wardrobes or invest in some home improvement while saving some serious cash. Thrift stores are a great place for savvy shoppers to capitalize on racks filled with brand names and designer duds for a fraction of their retail price. This is your space and time for a little bit of indulgence.
Still, you can go in over your head even in a thrift store if you haven’t planned your upcoming visit. So, first things first, take a peek in your closet and around your home to see what you have already, and what you may need.
National Thrift Shop Day – Thrift Store Shopping Tips
- Make your wish list! Have an idea of what you want/need to get.
- Track down the thrift stores that you can go to. Use sites like TheThriftShopper and ThriftyPlanet to locate a thrift shop near you.
- Money matters! So set yourself a budget and make sure that you stay within the limit. It’s easier to get carried away when you see the attractive discounts & red tags.
- Having cash is always a good idea! Most thrift stores may not accept your credit/debit cards. Having cash on you helps you avoid the unnecessary ATM fees that you might have to pay or help manage your credit card debt while you can still enjoy your bargain shopping trip. It is a good way to keep you within the budget & in control.
- Make smarter shopping choices. Try out the jacket you picked or check if the alarm clock is actually working. Since, most often, returns are not an option at such stores, it may be a good idea to know for sure before you leave the store.
- While today is a great day to start your thrift day shopping journey, make sure you strategically time your visits to the store. Going thrift shopping after the weekend may be a letdown as the stores may have had high weekend traffic. So, pick your time wisely.
- Look for deeper discounts and don’t be afraid to bargain. It can only save you a couple more bucks and worst case is that they will say no. So, nothing to lose.
Happy Shopping! Happy Saving! & Happy National Thrift Shop Day!