New Year’s Eve and Day can be a lot of fun and a money pit. Between fancy outfits, food and drinks all night, you can be looking to drop quite a bit of money. And the family would also need to spend a lot if going out to celebrate. Luckily, there are other ways to celebrate without spending all your Christmas money. Here are a few affordable New Year’s activities to do with friends or family.
10 Affordable New Year’s Activities
After all the money spent on gifts, you may not be interested in spending any more on New Year’s festivities. Fear not! While not all of these are free, they are affordable New Year’s activities. Check out the list as you start planning for the big night.
10 New Year’s Eve Party Ideas & More
- Pot Luck. Host a potluck for a New Year’s party. This will save you money on supplying all the food. Plus, you don’t have to travel.
- Pajama Party. Wearing pajamas or comfy clothes is a great way to skip the fancy attire that you can’t afford at the moment. Arrange a night with your BFF’s or do this as a family.
- Movie Night. Host a movie night or go out to the movies for a little excursion.
- Limit your concessions. Only allow yourself two drinks or snacks.
- Bring cash and only cash. If you don’t have a great track record of self-control, only bring cash with you. You can still have fun, but you can limit how much. Consequently, this is a great way to avoid consumer debt on such a festive occasion!
- Go out later than expected. Avoid the early parties and gathering around town. The less time you spend outside your home, the less money you can typically spend.
- Have a scavenger hunt. This is a great family activity that requires $0. it only takes a little prep work to make the list of items for the hunt.
- Put on a play. Create scenery, costumes, a script and light effects. A creative endeavor such as this could take a few hours or all day to get right.
- Bake treats. Make a variety of treats and even some muffins for the next day so you can wake up with something wonderful for breakfast with minimal effort. Additionally, you could also make a gourmet meal with your significant other for a quiet, romantic evening.
- Catch up some chores. Yes, super lame. However, a day or two off from work can be a great time to get some things done. This is surely the case if you have a side gig and can make some money.