Memorial Day weekend is coming up soon, which is a great opportunity for a weekend trip to a fun new destination! Of course, if you’re not careful, you might end up spending more than you planned to on your trip. Sticking to a budget on a trip is a good way to avoid consumer debt. Here are some tips for Memorial Day travel on a budget!
5 Tips to Memorial Day Travel on a Budget
- Heading to the beach? Bring your own food! If you’re taking a day trip to the nearest beach, pack some sandwiches, chips, fruit, and water bottles. Restaurants near beaches can be notoriously expensive. Besides, on a holiday weekend, the lines will be crazy! By bringing your own food, you’ll save money and spend more time lounging on your beach towel!
- Find free activities and entertainment. No matter where you’re traveling this holiday weekend, there’s bound to be free activities and events going on Memorial Day weekend. Whether it’s a free concert at a park or free entry to a museum, take advantage of the fact that it’s FREE!
- Use Airbnb instead of a hotel. Compare the prices between different hotels and Airbnb. Hotels, especially around Memorial Day, can be pricey. Airbnb is often a much cheaper option.
- Use coupons. You may be able to find coupons for discounted activities through Groupon. You can also browse for coupons elsewhere online that might save you some money on tourist activities in the area you decide to visit.
- Cut down on luggage. If you’re flying to your destination, try to avoid baggage fees by fitting everything into a carry-on. After all, you’re only going to be there for the weekend, and it’s almost summer, so your clothes should be light anyway! A couple of pairs of shorts, some T-shirts, flip flops, and a light jacket should do it. Leave the extra pair of sneakers at home.
Memorial Day travel on a budget doesn’t have to be difficult. You can have an amazing vacation without overspending!
If you’re looking for more budgeting tips, ACCC has tips and resources to build your budget and track your expenses!